FCPS regulations require that all absences be verified. Please do one of the following by 9:30 a.m to let us know if your child will be absent or late:
- Call the attendance line at 703-227-1495
- Use the online Report an Absence form
- Be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today
- Please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Excused Absence and Tardy
The following would be an excused absence or tardy: illness of the student, death in the family, doctor or dentist appointment, extreme inclement weather, and observance of a religious holiday.
Unexcused Absence and Tardy
The following would be an unexcused absence or tardy: family trip, child care situation, oversleeping, non-school related activity, traffic, or missed bus.
The parent/guardian must accompany the student to the main office and sign him/her in. Office staff will give the student a late pass and escort him/her to class.
Early Release of Students
Bull Run ES will excuse a student during the day for valid reasons. Please send a written request to the teacher when your child must leave early. Parents or guardians must come to the school office to pick up and sign out their child. Bull Run ES will not release your child to anyone other than a parent or guardian without a written request signed by the enrolling parent or guardian. If returning to school after an appointment, the parent/guardian must sign the student in upon return. Office staff will escort the student back to class. Parents/guardians are asked NOT to check out their child between 3:30-4:00 p.m., as it interferes with our end-of-day routines and dismissal procedures.
Watch the video below in which FCPS Superintendent Scott S. Brabrand talks about the importance of attending school every day.